Thursday, December 01, 2016

Time Travel

From facebook:
I am reading Time Travel by James Gleick. According to him, the fascination with time travel is due to fear of death. This is BS. I want time travel because I want to see what living Mesozoic dinosaurs look like, and I want to see the future. I want time travel because it might be a way to visit the stars. It's interesting to think about because of the potential paradoxes and because it challenges the basic rule of cause coming before effect. All in all, it is nifty -- and modern. Gleick begins his book with the H.G. Wells story. Apparently you don't get time travel before you get the modern idea of time and change. It comes after Darwin and Marx. (No question Wells was influenced by Darwin. I have no idea if he was influenced by Marx, but The Time Machine is about class warfare as well as evolution. The Morlocks and the Eloi are certainly "the mutual ruin of the contending classes.")

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home