Monday, August 12, 2013

Facebook

Why do I quote so often from conversations I have on facebook? Well, it's easy. If I have already said something on facebook, why not just copy it over to my blog? And facebook is a conversation, which I find a lot easier than writing in isolation -- which is a funny thing to say, considering that I'm a writer.

Well, yes, I do write fiction in isolation. But I talk about my stories while I am writing them, and then bring them to my fiction writing workshop, and then send them out in the hope that they will be published and so reach readers.

Still and all, writing fiction is a pretty solitary activity. Somehow, I find it less difficult than writing non-fiction, such as -- for example -- this blog.

And conversations have never been a problem for me. I like talking. I love doing panels at conventions, though it took years of work to get over my stage fright. There is a lovely give and take in a good panel or a good conversation. I learn more talking to other people than I learn talking to myself.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bill S. said...

I just read "Holmes Sherlock" in Gardner Dozois's annual collection. I have always really liked your hwarhath stories, probably because I like and am amused by the hwarhath themselves. Great story!
- Bill

6:54 AM  
Blogger Eleanor said...

Bill -- Thank you!

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home