Friday, July 26, 2013

Pacific Rim Again

I am clearly not able to let go of this movie. So here is more from facebook:
The two bits of advice on how to watch Pacific Rim I have encountered are (a) pay attention to the visuals and (b) pay attention to the emotions. Don't pay attention to the idiotic script. Patrick just asked, "Then why have the idiotic script?" I think he's right. The movie would have been much better with no words at all.

It needs to be restored as a silent movie, like Abel Gance's 1927 tour de force Napoleon. A music sound track would be fine. There was one on the restored version of Gance's movie which I saw I think in the 1980s. But I wouldn't go with silent movie subtitles. The movie needs to be entirely without words, except for the credits.
One of my facebook colleagues suggested that the movie should just be a series of fights between monsters and robots.

I answered:
That's pretty much what it was. But there was silly stuff involving people and words that got in.

The people could be left in, moving around to dramatic movie music. But no words!
Patrick said, "It would be like Koyaanisqatsi."

A 1982 movie that consisted of images and music by Philip Glass. Well, yes. It would sort of be like that. Only with robots fighting monsters.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tallgeese said...

"It needs to be restored as a silent movie"...

I have been enjoying Pacific Rim a great deal as an art book. Can't get much more silent film than that. The book is great, with wonderful creepy Kaiju designs by Guy Davis!

I almost made it out to see the movie today, but procrastinated, stayed home, and read more Cordwainer Smith.

6:59 PM  
Blogger Eleanor said...

There is much to be said for Cordwainer Smith.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Naomi said...

Robots fighting monsters would improve Koyanisqatsii.

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home