Thursday, July 09, 2009

Unemployment Again

I got a call from a job I actually wanted: a small nonprofit, good commute, part-time, nice people. The guy said it was really close, but they hired someone with a CPA. This is for a bookkeeping job.

(For those who don't know, there is hierarchy in accounting. Accounting clerks at bottom, then bookkeepers, then accountants, then CPAs.)

Now it's possible the CPA had good reasons for wanted a half-time job that paid less than $20,000 a year. Maybe because there is pro-rated health care.

Still, it strikes me that this says something about our economy. I was over-qualified for the job. The CPA is way over-qualified.

The last two turn-downs I've gotten said I interviewed well, and they enjoyed talking with me. So apparently the problem isn't my interviewing. Maybe my age. Even more likely the economy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home