Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Story

I was in Barnes and Noble a few days ago, checking the science fiction and fantasy section. One of the books had a title in an elaborate, almost unreadable font. I thought it said The Hatter of God.

When I took a second look, it said The Hammer of God, which was a less interesting title. I liked The Hatter of God.

Jane Yolen was at Minicon this past weekend; and I bought one of her books, a collection of her fairy tales and fables.

Influenced by her and the misread title, I have written a story -- a sort of fairy tale or fable -- called "The Hat Maker of God." I will find out if it's any good when I hand it out to my workshop. But it came quickly and easily, which is always fun. I don't much like the stories that drag on and take a lot of writing and rewriting and time off to think. Though some of these stories are among my best.

But the short, quick one are a pleasure.

2 Comments:

Blogger Addison Lande said...

GHOST FACTORY

Pieces of dead matter. The research facility concerning paranormal activity hardly recognizes this behavior. They are so busy chasing crop circles anything not manmade slips under the radar. The ghosts can get away with anything, including setting up an entire military-industrial complex.

Paranormal Researcher: "I pretend to be fascinated by the unknown, but it's really myself that fascinates me. I share emy findings online with my research partners, but I really see them all as extensions of my own solipsistic world, a tidal pool with no end."

I don't want to die, but parts of me do.

In life, the real ghosts evade me. Searching for plateaus until the long slide downward, I install tiny receptors in my eyes to augment my vision. Overlay displays of deceased colonies, even the dead move on. Their populations are moving, leaving behind cities Youth catches up to me as ghosts from my past manufacture my own demise. It's inevitable that the research must end. The End approaches, beneath detection, not out of malice but to manufacture future haunting.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Eleanor said...

This is the most unusual comment I have gotten. It is also well written.

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home