Monday, June 30, 2008

I Checked Amazon.com

They have 3,500 listings for books about Brer Rabbit. I don't think we are going to lose these stories.

Many of these books appear to be in print. The lady at Barnes & Noble did not (apparently) know her job.

Now I have to figure out which book I will get. The obvious one is the Joel Chandler Harris collection. But I don't know if I can stand that much dialect; and the frame story with Uncle Remus and the little white boy is not pleasant to read.

What I'd like, if I could find it, would be a collection done by a folklorist. Or the Harris collection with annotations.

1 Comments:

Blogger GDH said...

You may find good Brer Rabbit stories at Google Books (Advanced Book Search with Full View is a good idea).

The Internet Archive now has the recently abandoned Microsoft Book Search. Also a good place for books. By the way, their "book of the day" is Chester Reed's masterful and totally gorgeous "The Bird Book" (1914) with its hundreds of full color illustrations.

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home