Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Weather in Minnesota

At the moment, we are having a lot of rain, and a lot of the rain is heavy, which means more flash flooding along the little rivers in the southeastern part of the state.

As I mentioned in my previous post, my mood goes down in the fall. Overcast days don't help. My mood will lift a little when daylight savings ends, and I no longer get up in the dark; and it will lift if the rain stops. I'd like some of the cold, crisp, bright weather we used to have in October in Minnesota and seem to have less often now: blue skies and golden foliage, with splashes of red from the sumac and maples.

November doesn't have the shortest days, but it tends to be overcast. I always think of it as gray, though it can be lovely on when the sun is out.

I have come to terms with Christmas. I used to think it was commercial and full of a sentimental, close-to-fake religiosity. Now I think, xmas lights! Over-the-top gold and glittery decorations! Luminous dwarves in front yards! Bring it all on, so long as it holds back the dark a little.

Halloween is also good: candles flicking in pumpkins, gaudy costumes, orange and yellow and black decorations.

I sometimes wonder what it says about our culture that Halloween has turned from a kid's holiday to an adult holiday and keeps getting more and more important. What do the ghosts and goblins and witches and skeletons mean? Why do so many people decorate their yards and houses? And why do we now have Halloween theme Christmas tree ornaments? Are they supposed to go on the tree in December? Or are we supposed to hang them up at the end of October and pray to the Goddess for two feet of snow?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home