Saturday, August 25, 2007

Squid!

Per Tim Susman, Bruce Schneier -- the expert I quote in my post on security -- has a blog and blogs on squid. Several years ago I wrote a story which involved an squid-like alien and did research on squid. I discovered that (a) they are fascinating and (b) there is a lot we don't know about them, especially about their behavior. Anyway, I love squid. I will have to check the blog.

My favorite anecdote is from Jacques Cousteau and is about an octopus, not a squid. This guy had an octopus in a tank. One day he noticed the glass plate on top of the tank had been pushed off, and the octopus had escaped. He hunted through his house and finally found the octopus in his library, pulling books off a bottom shelf and leafing through them.

Octopoi can live out of water from some time; and Cousteau did not claim the octopus was reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home